Initial Impressions: Save the Cat! Writes a Novel

 

https://www.amazon.com/Save-Cat-Writes-Novel-Writing/dp/0399579745

So this came yesterday since I am a fan of the original books, but not a strict devotee to the formula. I like the thoughts about structure and pacing the Save the Cat method forces you to think about, and I find the overall theory of considering a story as a larger whole with clear transitions into new states and focus is a good thing.

I am a "pantser" who writes as they go as the book says instead of a planner, but I do have a loose general plan to follow before I set out writing. I do not always follow that plan, but it is there in case I find myself wandering and not moving things along.

The book takes the Save the Cat screenwriting formula and applies it to novel writing. It is an interesting concept, and also one written by a teacher who actually taught this in a college course - so the book is written by someone who knows their stuff. If you are a super fan of Save the Cat and those concepts, I feel you won't find too much new here outside of the "10 genres" section - which I found to be the best parts of the book when the genres of novels were broken down and analyzed by the formula's rules.

There seems to be some new terminology being used here, so I recommend reading this from start to finish instead of flipping around randomly.

I will be reading this further and using this as an inspirational reference. There are some books that get you thinking about YOUR book, and I find these types of books to be very useful in the mental exercises needed to take a book from a hazy idea in your mind to that point you are pressing the "submit manuscript" button on your self-publishing site. These books keep me in the game, keep me thinking about story and structure, and keep me engaged with the process - regardless if I follow their advice, they force me to think about it while the idea of my book is in my thoughts.

They keep me thinking.

Which keeps me working.

Which day after day, gets the book done and in the reader's hands.

More soon on this, but good for those new to the series, and a bit repetitive for those already bought in.


Comments